Thank you to all Find A Grave photo volunteers who have been coming out to help fulfill requests! Your efforts are greatly appreciated!
Beginning July 3, 2011 Grand View Volunteers will no longer be organizing this specialized operating procedure for Findagrave request. Read more here. ~ Thank you!
Fulfilling requests at Grand View Memorial Park works a bit differently than at other Los Angeles area cemeteries due to the current situation here. We have a core group of regular visitation volunteers that work at the park each court-ordered opening who closely monitor requests and work diligently to research exact locations in advance of limited visitation openings.
If you plan to come out and take photos, please coordinate with us and follow the guidelines listed below to ensure that no one is doing double-duty. We get 50-100 requests per opening so coordination is essential. We have been doing this for several years and our insights can save you time and help you get more accomplished in the 8 hours we have access to the cemetery each month! :)
1. Upon arrival, check in with the Information Table located just inside the front gate to pick up a page of requests to look for, along with maps or additional information we may have for each grave. Requests are grouped by location within the cemetery to ensure efficiency.
Each volunteer will be assigned a page so we know who is taking responsibility for what section to avoid duplication of efforts. Make sure to let us know your Find A Grave user ID. (Available next to your name at the top of your Find A Grave profile page - here's an example:
Lisa Burks (#46590262)
|member for 9 years, 8 months|
2. When you’re finished for the day, check out with the Information Table and let us know which graves were found and photographed -- and any that were not found. Any unfulfilled requests will go back on the list for the next opening.
3. Please post photos for the requests you’ve filled to Findagrave.com no later than midnight the following Wednesday, so we can begin prep for the following opening based on requests that are still open as well as new requests. Be sure to click on the "Fulfill" link next to the grave listing on the Grand View request page so that the request will be removed from our list and you will get volunteer photo credit.
4. If you take additional photos of graves that are not on the request list, please make sure to check for an existing memorial page to add the photo before creating a new page. If you don’t find one, check again just to be sure. All known interments have already been posted to Findagrave and duplicates create confusion and more work on our end. If you have any questions, leave a note on the Grand View Memorial Park Contributor Page (or send to firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll try to help sort things out.
5. Please try to take clear, quality photos of grave markers, the type that you would like to see if it was for your own relative’s page: trim away any grass and brush off loose dirt. Per Findagrave recommendations, use ONLY water and a soft brush on markers that do not belong to you. Here's an excellent example:
Be sure that the photo includes all the information available on the marker such as names, dates and epitaphs that will help the person who requested the information fill in details on their end that they might not already have. This avoids us having to re-take photos when we get word back from families that the image is unreadable, which, unfortunately, has happened in the past. Finding the grave is important, as is providing as much clear detail as possible. If you have any questions about photo quality tips, just ask any of the volunteers at the check in table.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO VOLUNTEER!
We look forward to working with you in making a positive difference for all families with loved ones buried at Grand View!